Quote of the Day: “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” Marcus Aurelius
Question of the Day: In order to find yourself, are you willing to lose yourself?
CHALLENGE: Spend time only focusing on your breathing
- Beginner: Spend 5 minutes focusing on your breath
- Intermediate: Spend 10 minutes focusing on your breath
- Advanced: Spend 15 minutes focusing on your breath
- Extreme: Spend 5 minutes each day for 7 straight days focusing on your breath
Why do This? There is nothing more important in our lives then our breath. Without air we die. Most of us go through life taking our breath for granted. Incorporating a daily focused breathing practice into your life has been proven to have many health benefits including reducing anxiety, heightened focus, a calmer mind, and improved nervous system and heart balance.
Tips and tricks for Success:
- Sit or lay down in a comfortable position
- Set a timer
- Focus on your inhale, your breath hold, your exhale, and exhale hold. Repeat this cycle for the allotted time.
- Use one of the many helpful online apps such as “BoxBreathing”
- Be open to whatever thoughts that enter your consciousness
What I have learned from daily focused breath work:
I have been doing daily breath work nearly everyday for more than a year. It is powerful tool that helps me to relax and start my day with a clearer mind and intention. When I find myself preoccupied and not in the “present moment”, spending a brief moment focusing on my breathing helps me to reset and bring my awareness back to the present.