Quote of the Day: “The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.”- Kakuzo Okakura
Question of the Day: When was the last time you did something for the first time?
CHALLENGE: Reduce your dependency on furniture
- Beginner: While at home from 5pm until bedtime don’t use any furniture
- Intermediate: For 24 hours don’t sit on anything that has back support
- Advanced: For 24 hours only use the floor to sit
- Extreme: For 24 hours don’t use any furniture including your bed
Why do This? This will give you a new perspective on how much we rely on furniture. While furniture provides us a lot of comfort, it ultimately makes us weaker and less flexible. Using furniture less allows us to move more, strengthen our bodies, and improve our mobility and flexibility.
Tips and tricks for Success:
- Stand more. When you are watching something stand instead of sit.
- While you are sitting use it as an opportunity to stretch.
- Get other family members to participate.
What I have learned about reducing my use of furniture
When I used to go to my kid’s sporting events, I would always sit, now I try to stand. When I would sit for long hours I would always slouch in a chair. Now, I sit upright on a seat without back support. When I used to watch TV, I used to also slouch on the couch. Now, I only slouch sometimes and the rest of the time I sit on the floor and stretch while watching . These changes have helped to improve my strength and flexibility.