Quote of the Day: “The only way you gain mental toughness is to do things you’re not happy doing. If you continue doing things that you’re satisfied and make you happy, you’re not getting stronger. You’re staying where you’re at. Either you’re getting better, or you’re getting worse. You’re not staying the same.” -David Goggins
CHALLENGE: Keep the thermostat in your house set to 55 degrees during the winter and 80 degrees during the summer (Consult a doctor first if you have health concerns).
- Beginner: Do this for 1 full day
- Intermediate: Do this for 2 full days
- Advanced: Do this for 7 full days
- Extreme: Do this for 14 full days
Why do This?
Most people who have heat and air conditioning live in a manufactured environment where the temperature is between 67 and 75 degrees all the time. This challenge will challenge your tolerance and gratitude. It will also save you money and help the environment by using less energy.
Tips and tricks for Success:
- If it is cold then wear layers, stay active throughout the day to keep body temperature up, drink hot liquids and eat warm foods
- If it is hot then wear clothing that keeps you cool, drink ice water, use a spray bottle with water to keep you cool.
What I have learned about not living in an environment where the temperature is always the same:
This challenge has helped me to be more adaptable and tolerant. Experiencing cold and heat consistently outside of my comfort zone has made me so much more motivated to experience the outdoors in a positive and active way no matter what the weather is like. It is also nice seeing small energy bills each month and helping the environment by using less energy.