Quote of the Day: “It is in giving that I connect with others, with the world. and with the divine.”- Isabel Allende
Question of the Day: Is it true that you have to see it to believe it, or rather, do you have to believe it before you can see it?
CHALLENGE: Give something away (either your time or something material)
- Beginner: Give away one thing that you value and/or donate 15 minutes of your time towards something you wouldn’t normally do (maybe pick up trash or help someone you live close to).
- Intermediate: Give away 3 things that you value and/or donate 30 minutes of your time towards something you wouldn’t normally do.
- Advanced: Give away 5 things that you value and/or donate 90 minutes of your time towards something you wouldn’t normally do.
- Extreme: Donate half of your daily income and/or donate 8 hours of your time towards something you wouldn’t normally do.
Why do This?
Be the change you want to see in the world. Most of us have more than we need. Giving has proven to have the following positive effects:
- Lower blood pressure, Increased self-esteem, Less depression, Lower stress levels, Longer life, Greater happiness
Tips and tricks for Success:
- Don’t over think it, just do it.
- Think of the things that you really need. Anything that is not on that list is a candidate to be given away. Many of us have so many things that we really don’t need. Once these things are gone, we usually don’t even miss them.
What I have learned about giving things away that I value
This has been an area of weakness for me. It is easy for me to give away things that I don’t value but it has been much harder for me to give away things that I value. When I have given away things that I value, I have found that I don’t end up missing the items. The thought of someone else finding value in it is a gift unto itself.